Bridging visa E (BVE) Subclass 050 and 051

Bridging visa E (BVE) Subclass 050 and 051

A Bridging visa E (BVE) is a temporary visa. If your substantive visa has ended, it lets you stay in Australia lawfully while you make arrangements to leave, finalise your immigration matter or are waiting for an immigration decision. It does not let you re-enter Australia if you leave.

BVE (subclass 050) if one of the following applies:

โ€ข You are an unlawful non-citizen, the holder of a BVE (subclass 050) or the holder of a BVD (subclass 041) and;
o you are making arrangements to depart Australia
o you are applying for a substantive visa
o you are seeking merits or judicial review of a visa decision or citizenship decision
o you are seeking ministerial intervention.

You might be granted a BVE (subclass 051) if you meet all of the following:
โ€ข You were refused immigration clearance or bypassed immigration clearance and came to our notice within 45 days and;
o you are in immigration detention
o you have applied for a protection visa
o you meet other specific requirements relating to age, health or nomination, or you meet the requirements for a further BVE (subclass 051).

There are two types of BVEs:
โ€ข Bridging (General) visa (subclass 050) – generally if you are currently unlawful, the holder of a BVE 050 or the holder of a BVD 041.
โ€ข Bridging (Protection Visa Applicant) visa (subclass 051) – used in limited circumstances for eligible non-citizens (as specified by the Regulations) who are not prevented from making a bridging visa application under the Migration Act or Regulations.

Need Help?